If you’re new to the UTV world, you might be wondering why someone would choose a diesel UTV instead of one powered by a gasoline engine. Although both types of engines are internal combustion engines, the decision to choose which one depends on whether you’re looking to work or to race.
You should choose a diesel UTV if you’re looking for a vehicle that can output a good amount of torque for towing and hauling. UTVs with diesel engines usually require less maintenance and are more reliable than their gasoline counterparts.
I am going to assume that you have done some research on the differences between a diesel engine and a gasoline engine and how they work from a mechanical standpoint. Therefore, the focus of this post is to help you determine if you should choose a diesel UTV, the pros and cons of a diesel UTV and whether or not it meets your work requirements.
Main Reasons to choose a Diesel UTV
- You need to do a lot of hauling – Diesel engines produces a lot of torque which helps to get your haul going fast. They won’t rev as high as their gasoline counterparts and have less horsepower on average. Keep in mind that torque is more important than horsepower when it comes to towing and hauling. Having a lot of horsepower and no torque means your UTV will be slow to get going.
- You don’t like maintenance– Well, to be honest, neither does anyone else. Diesel engines have no spark plugs and distributors. You don’t need to worry about ignition tune-ups. However, this doesn’t mean diesel engines are “bullet-proof”.
Diesel engines are more ruggedly built to withstand higher compression and will generally last longer than gasoline engines. If they do require maintenance, the repair will usually cost higher than gasoline engines.
- You need to go further – You can get more mileage out of your diesel engine because they can deliver close to 30% better fuel economy than normal gasoline engines. Note that diesel fuel is often equal or more expensive than gasoline. The debate here is not on the price of gasoline but the fact that you get more mileage out of your tank on diesel fuel.
These are the 3 main reasons why you should consider a diesel UTV. If you’ve been searching online for awhile, you may have noticed that most diesel UTVs available on the market today are targeted towards customers looking for a work vehicle.
Work is truly what a diesel UTV should be used for.
Here are some of the best diesel UTVs:
- Polaris Diesel Ranger – This UTV is powered by a 1028cc engine with 24 HP output. It can tow up to 2000lbs and carry up to 3 people.
- mPact XTV 1000 S Diesel – This UTV is powered by a 1000 cc engine. It can tow up to 2100lbs and carry up to 3 people. There is up to 12” of ground clearance and comes with 27” tires. An electrical cargo box lift makes it easy for you to unload your haul.
- CAT CUV102 D – This UTV is powered by a 1030 cc engine and can tow up to 2000lbs. It has a ground clearance of 10.5”. It can carry up to 2 people but has extra room for a second battery.
- The Hustler MDV – This UTV is powered by a 1028cc engine and can tow up to 1650lbs. It comes with a monster 14-gallon fuel tank and can achieve a top speed of 37mph. The floating rear axle system helps to maintain good ground clearance even at the maximum load.
- The Mahindra Roxor – This UTV looks like a Jeep and has a turbo diesel engine that outputs 62hp. It can tow up to 3490lbs. It comes with hydraulic power steering and can carry 2 people.